Added on: 5th Nov 2013
Tell yourself that it’s healthy because it’s FRUIT.
4 Granny Smith apples (the big green ones)
200g golden caster sugar
A half tsp of vinegar
2 tbsp golden syrup
4 wooden skewers
1. Place the apples in a large bowl, then cover with boiling water (Tip: you may have to do this in 2 batches).
2. Dry thoroughly and twist off any stalks.
3. Push a wooden skewer into the stalk end of each apple.
4. Place the apples on a sheet of baking paper.
5. Tip the sugar into a pan of 100ml water and set over a medium heat.
6. Cook for 5 mins until the sugar dissolves, then stir in the vinegar and syrup.
7. Set a sugar thermometer in the pan and boil to 140C (Tip: if you don’t have a thermometer you can test the toffee by pouring a little into a bowl of cold water. It should harden instantly and when removed, be brittle and easy to break. If you can still squish the toffee, continue to boil it).
8. Working quickly and carefully, dip and twist each apple in the hot toffee until covered. Let any excess drip away, then place on the baking parchment to harden (Tip: if the toffee starts to thicken, rer-heat it a little).
9. Leave the toffee to cool – then eat!